Dairy & Drinks
The richest flavor and color cocoa powders
Cocoa powders for indulgent chocolate flavor
- Beverages prepared with natural cocoa powders have more caramel notes than when prepared with dutched (alkalised) powders.
- The more the powder is alkalised, the more intense the chocolate, cocoa flavor will be. Medium and high alkalised cocoa powders will display more premium, richer, lingering chocolate flavors.
- For a more intense chocolate flavor, simply increase the amount of cocoa powder used in the recipe.
Here is our selection of Bensdorp cocoa powders to help you create the best colour and flavour chocolate experience.
There is of course much more available, so for more information reach out to your customer support team.
Cocoa powders for a premium color sensory
- We recommend to use 1-3% of cocoa powder in your recipe. For a darker color, either increase the amount or switch to a powder with a higher degree of alkalisation.
- The dry color of the powder changes as the powder is blended in the application. Therefore when selecting your color, we recommend to always test the wet (intrinsic) color.
- In application, low fat cocoa powders have a darker color than their high fat counterparts with the same degree of alkalisation.
Bensdorp’s Dispersible cocoa powders are coated with sunflower lecithin for a better dispersibility than standard cocoa powders blended with an emulsifier. They blend perfectly in cold drinks and instant beverages with no lumps for a smoother mouth feel.
- When blended with sugar, Bensdorp’s selection of high fat cocoa powders (20/22 & 22/24) allow you to claim ‘Chocolate’ on your package.
- With Bensdorp’s 100% Dairy Free Dark Chocolate powder you can show real pieces of chocolate on pack and claim: ‘Dark chocolate’.
We have selected the best cocoa powder flavors for your dairy free drinks:
- For almond milk recipes, prefer Bensdorp Dairy Free Dark Chocolate powder for its round caramel, nutty flavor. (link: )
- Coconut milk recipes work particularly well with the DW cocoa powder which brings a nice balanced chocolate, caramel flavor.
- For soy milk, we recommend the Santo Domingo origin for its balanced cocoa chocolate flavor.
- For other plant based dairy-free drinks applications please contact us to find the best matching cocoa powder maximizing your flavor and color experience.