Barry Callebaut at a glance
This is Barry Callebaut -
Growing the world of chocolate and cocoa!
- We employ more than 13,000 people operating out of more than 40 countries
- We run more than 65 production facilities and 26 CHOCOLATE ACADEMY™ centers across the globe
- We generated annual sales of about CHF 8.1 billion (EUR 7.8 billion / USD 8.6 billion) in fiscal year 2021/22 (ended August 31, 2022)
- We have comprehensive competencies in the art of making chocolate and cocoa products - from sourcing and processing cocoa beans to producing the finest chocolates, including chocolate fillings, decorations and compounds.
- With more than 175 years of chocolate heritage, the Barry Callebaut Group has an unparalleled blend of expertise in cocoa and chocolate, including insights into future consumer trends which we gather through our chefs network.
- With a comprehensive portfolio of brands & products, we are serving three main customer audiences:
- Food & Beverages Manufacturers: Global, regional and local food manufacturers use Barry Callebaut's chocolate and cocoa products as ingredients in their consumer products.
- Artisans & Chefs: Professional users such as chocolatiers, pastry chefs, bakeries, hotels, restaurants and caterers rely on Barry Callebaut's premium chocolate products and on its convenient, ready-to-use and ready-to-sell products offered under a variety of gourmet brands.
- Vending: Barry Callebaut’s various beverage brands offer a rich variety of chocolate, cocoa and cappuccino vending mixes to its global customer base in the vending sector.
We source every fifth cocoa bean grown worldwide, creating delicious chocolate & cocoa experiences
As a business-to-business company, the Barry Callebaut Group serves the entire food industry, from global and local food manufacturers to artisanal and professional users of chocolate, such as chocolatiers, pastry chefs, bakers, hotels, restaurants or caterers.
We are able to provide our customers with added-value products and services adapted to specific market needs, ahead of trends and at a competitive price.
Barry Callebaut is the outsourcing partner of choice for leading global and local food companies with which we have a number of long-term partnership agreements. We are also the world's largest supplier of gourmet chocolates and specialties products. The global brands catering to the specific needs of these Gourmet customers are Callebaut® and Cacao Barry®, Carma® and the decorations specialist Mona Lisa®.
Our business model
The Barry Callebaut Group is mastering every step in the value chain from the sourcing of raw materials to the production of the finest chocolates.
As we do not own any cocoa plantations, we source our most important raw material, the cocoa bean, directly through well-established presences in cocoa origin countries from cooperatives, intermediaries and government bodies.
We are a business-to-business company. In order to accommodate price fluctuations in raw materials, we use a cost-plus pricing model that passes on raw material prices directly to our customers for a large part of our business.
Our input factors are talented people, profound chocolate and cocoa know-how, as well as unparalleled sourcing capabilities of raw materials. Our output factors are high-quality chocolate and cocoa products complemented by value-adding services.
Our competitive advantages
With more than 175 years of chocolate heritage, the Barry Callebaut Group has an unparalleled blend of expertise in cocoa and chocolate, from the sourcing of the beans to insights into future consumer trends which we gather through our chefs network. Through leadership in innovation, we help our customers grow. Combined with our cost leadership, this makes us the preferred outsourcing partner of the food industry. We have long-term partnership agreements with leading global and local food companies. We are present on the ground in all key origin countries and have a long-standing commitment to sustainability.
Our global footprint
We are a fully vertically integrated business and have a unique global footprint with 66 factories and 26 CHOCOLATE ACADEMY™ centers around the globe. The Barry Callebaut Group runs cocoa factories in the main cocoa origin countries as well as chocolate factories close to our customers. We are able to provide our customers with added-value products and services adapted to specific market needs, ahead of trends and at a competitive price.
Our vision and values
Everything we do is rooted in our five core values – customer focus, passion, entrepreneurship, team spirit, and integrity.
We believe in doing well to do good. This is also reflected by the fact that about 30% of our dividends support the Jacobs Foundation, which is dedicated to education and the future of young people.
Barry Callebaut aims to consistently outperform the global chocolate and cocoa market, based on the four pillars of our long-term strategy:
Geographical split (as per end of fiscal year 2021/22)
The Barry Callebaut Group is organized into different Regions: Region EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), Region Americas and Region Asia Pacific. The globally managed Global Cocoa business is reported as a separate segment like a Region.
Overall, Barry Callebaut operated 66 factories worldwide by the end of fiscal year 2021/22, selling its products to 144 countries.
Our Regional and Product split
Sales volume by Product Group
Barry Callebaut is serving various customer segments - from global and local food manufacturers to artisanal and professional users of chocolate - through three different Product Groups: Food Manufacturers Products, Cocoa Products and Gourmet & Specialties Products.
Key figures fiscal year 2020/21 (as per August 31, 2021)
|Sales volume||2,306,681 tonnes|
|Sales revenue||CHF 8,091.9 mio|
|Operating profit (EBIT, recurring)||CHF 624.7 mio|
The future of Barry Callebaut
Barry Callebaut will continue to strive for a smart balance between consistent, above-market volume growth and enhanced profitability - continuing our 'smart growth' strategy.
The mid-term guidance for the 3-year period 2020/21 - 2022/23:
On average 5-7% volume growth and EBIT above volume growth in local currencies, barring any major unforeseeable events.