unsalted butter, melted
- Combine the sugar, flour 1, and salt in a bowl.
- Proof the yeast in the milk.
- Combine the eggs and melted butter and add to milk/yeast mixture.
- Add flour 1 mixture into the liquid until well combined.
- Add flour 2, combining until dough forms.
- Cover with plastic wrap (not skin-on) then towel.
- Proof for 1 hour.
- Roll dough to size (on a large cutting board) and spread butter all over to the edges.
- Spread the prepared cinnamon filling over the surface of the dough.
- Starting with the long end facing you, roll the dough into a log.
- Cover (touching the dough) with plastic wrap and chill.
- Once cold, slice into 15 rolls. (or more for smaller rolls)
- Place rolls cut side up in greased large hotel pan.
- Retard overnight in the cooler.
- Preheat the oven 15 minutes/turn off.
- Fill a shallow hotel pan with hot water and place on lowest rack in oven with cinnamon rolls above.
- Let proof 1 hour with door closed.
- Remove from the oven, heat oven to 325°F and bake about 45 minutes until lightly golden.
- When done, flip entire pan onto a full sheet pan.
- Optionally, glaze each cinnamon roll with flat icing.