unsalted butter, room temperature but not greasy
Cream cheese, room temperature
Whole egg beat with 1 teaspoon of water for egg wash
Bakers Hungarian Lekvar - Six 8# cans
- Cut the butter into ½-inch pieces. Cream the butter on medium speed in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle until smooth and lump free. This may take 3 or 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the cream cheese. Blend on low to medium speed, stopping and starting the machine and scraping the sides of the bowl and the beater as needed. Beat until the mixture is well blended. Add the flour, a half a cup at a time. Beat the mixture between each addition of flour until it is just incorporated.
- Gather the dough up into a ball. Divide it in two. Flatten each piece of dough slightly. Wrap each piece in plastic and refrigerate the dough at least an hour before making the cookies. Or freeze one ball of dough to bake later.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease or line two or three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To form the cookies, roll out one ball of the dough on a floured work table about ¼ inch thick. Using a clean ruler and a knife or fluted rolling cutter, cut the dough into 2-inch squares. Place the squares onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Brush each square with the egg wash. Dab about ½ teaspoon of American Almond® prune lekvar in the center of each square of dough. To form each cookie, pick up the two opposite corners of the dough and pinch them together.
- Bake the cookies for 18 to 20 minutes until the dough is lightly golden and crisp. Cool the cookies then dust them lightly with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Fill the dough with American Almond® almond, cinnamon or chocolate schmear filling in place of the Lekvar.