Judges Announced for L'Art du Chocolatier Challenge
- Highly acclaimed chefs to select Chocolatier of the Year 2013
- 3rd annual chocolate competition to be held on May 17-18, 2013
- More than $12,000 in cash and prizes to be awarded for most artistic use of Cacao Barry® chocolate
Chicago/USA – April 1, 2013– Cacao Barry®, the premium French chocolate brand, has announced an all-star lineup of judges to help determine the Chocolatier of the Year 2013 in the 3rd annual L’Art du Chocolatier™ Challenge. Five of the world’s best pastry chefs have been selected to award the coveted title.
L’Art du Chocolatier™ Challenge is a spectacle of chocolate mastery as chefs display their artistry and talents using the French premium brand. Judging at this level of competition also requires considerable technical and creative expertise. Canadian chocolatier Christophe Morel will act as head judge of the competition and the complete list of judges responsible for choosing the Chocolatier of the Year is as follows:
- John Krauss, Proprietor and Chef, Patisserie 46, Minneapolis, MN
- Jerome Landrieu, Cacao Barry Technical Advisor & Director of the Barry Callebaut Chocolate Academy™ Center Chicago, Illinois
- Frédéric Moreau, Cacao Barry Ambassador & Executive Pastry Chef, The St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort, Dana Point, CA
- Christophe Morel, Master Chocolatier, “Christophe Morel”, and Cacao Barry Ambassador, Canada
- Josep Maria Ribé, Technical Advisor, Chocolate Academy™ Center, Gurb, Spain
As announced in December, a nationwide search of top pastry chefs across the United States culminated in the selection of the following five contestants:
- Romain Fournel, Assistant Pastry Chef, Jean-Philippe Pâtisserie, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Kei Hasegawa, Pastry Chef, Matsuhisa Restaurant, Beverly Hills, California
- Jérôme Jacob, Assistant Pastry Chef, Bellagio Resort Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Santosh Tiptur, Executive Pastry Chef, Co Co. Sala Restaurant and Chocolate Boutique, Washington, D.C.
- Sean Pera, Pastry Cook, The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary, N.C.
The finalists will compete in the event, May 17-18, 2013 at the state-of-the-art Barry Callebaut CHOCOLATE ACADEMY™ Center in Chicago for the chance to be crowned Chocolatier of the Year 2013 and a chance to win up to $12,000 in cash and prizes. Chefs who wish to attend and view the competition as well as the reception can RSVP in advance with their name to CacaoBarryLADC@barry-callebaut.com.
||Award Ceremony/Cocktail Reception|
Friday, May 17, 12:30-3:00pm
Saturday, May 18, 1:00-5:00pm
|Saturday, May 18, 6:00pm|
About Cacao Barry® (www.cacao-barry.com):
By constantly inventing and reinventing Pastry and Gastronomy, France gave its name and mark to this art. It is a tradition envied by the whole world. It is all about creativity, innovation, and above all passion. Since its creation in 1842, Cacao Barry® has been entirely committed to this heritage. Today Cacao Barry® provides the most complete palette of products, to all passionate chocolate craftsmen around the world: chocolate and couvertures, pralinés, origins and exclusive plantations, decorations and moulds, inspiring them and opening doors to new creative experiences. Besides, Cacao Barry® offers the widest international community of chocolate professionals, Ambassadors’ Club and Chocolate Academies to support craftsmen and chefs on their quest for perfection. Cacao Barry® is a global Gourmet brand of Barry Callebaut, the world’s leading manufacturer of high-quality cocoa and chocolate.
With annual sales of about CHF 4.8 billion (EUR 4.0 billion / USD 5.2 billion) for fiscal year 2011/12, Zurich-based Barry Callebaut is the world’s leading manufacturer of high-quality cocoa and chocolate – from the cocoa bean to the finest chocolate product. Barry Callebaut is present in 30 countries, operates around 45 production facilities and employs a diverse and dedicated workforce of about 6,000 people. Barry Callebaut serves the entire food industry focusing on industrial food manufacturers, artisans and professional users of chocolate (such as chocolatiers, pastry chefs or bakers), the latter with its two global brands Callebaut® and Cacao Barry®. Barry Callebaut is the global leader in cocoa and chocolate innovations and provides a comprehensive range of services in the fields of product development, processing, training and marketing. Cost leadership is another important reason why global as well as local food manufacturers work together with Barry Callebaut. Through its broad range of sustainability initiatives and research activities, the company works with farmers, farmer organizations and other partners to help ensure future supplies of cocoa and improve farmer livelihoods.
Contact for the media:
Grayling for Cacao Barry